Maya provides a wizard for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 which can be used to quickly and easily create Visual Studio projects
for Maya plug-ins. The wizard is not installed automatically by the Maya installer so you must copy some files by hand before
you can start using it.
The instructions below assume that you are installing the wizard on a 64-bit version of Windows. If you are installing on
32-bit Windows then replace all occurrences of C:\Program Files (x86) with just C:\Program Files.
Follow these steps to install the wizard
- The wizard can be found in devkit\pluginwizard\MayaPluginWizard2.0.zip under Maya's install folder. Unzip this file into a local folder.
- Copy the following files to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\vcprojects folder:
- Notice that the unzipped file contains a top-level folder named MayaPluginWizard and within that a sub-folder which is also named MayaPluginWizard. Copy the top-level MayaPluginWizard folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\VCWizards
If you are working with a non-english installation of Microsoft Visual Studio, then you may have to alter the folders that
the files are copied into above.
Follow these steps to use the wizard
- Start Microsoft Visual Studio, invoke File -> New -> Project -> Visual C++ Projects and select MayaPluginWizard.
- Enter a name and solution name and select the OK button.
- Fill in the information for the Plug-in setup screen.
- Click Next to get the Plug-in type dialog, or select it from the link in the sidebar, and fill in any required information.
- Click Next to get the Included libraries dialog, or select it from the link in the sidebar, and fill in any required information.
- Click Finish to create the project.