During the development cycle of an AutoLISP application or routine, the AutoLISP user performs a number of operations that
are not available within the PRODNAME software. Some of these operations—like text editing—are available with other software tools. Others, such as full AutoLISP
source-level debugging, are introduced only with VLISP. In VLISP, you perform most of the necessary operations inside a single
environment. This permits text editing, program debugging, and interaction with PRODNAME and other applications.
The following are components of the Visual LISP IDE:
- Syntax Checker recognizes erroneous AutoLISP constructs and improper arguments in calls to built-in functions.
- File Compiler improves the execution speed and provides a secure and efficient delivery platform.
- Source Debugger, designed specifically for AutoLISP, supports stepping through AutoLISP source code in one window while simultaneously
displaying the results of code execution in an PRODNAME drawing window.
- Text File Editor uses AutoLISP and DCL color coding, as well as other AutoLISP syntax support features.
- AutoLISP Formatter restructures programs into an easily readable format.
- Comprehensive Inspect and Watch features provide convenient access to variable and expression values for data structure browsing
and modification. These features may be used to explore AutoLISP data and PRODNAME drawing entities.
- Context-sensitive Help provides information for AutoLISP functions and a powerful Apropos feature for symbol name search.
- Project Management system makes it easy to maintain multiple-file applications.
- Compiled AutoLISP files are packaged into a single module.
- Desktop Save and Restore capabilities preserve and reuse the windowing environment from any VLISP session.
- Intelligent Console window introduces a new level of convenience and efficiency for AutoLISP users. The basic functions of
the Console correspond to the PRODNAME Text Screen functions and provide a number of interactive features, such as history scrolling and full-input line editing.