You can see how the map
book will be divided into tiles before
you generate it.
To preview and generate the map book
- With the Create Map Book dialog
box still open from the previous exercise, click Preview
The preview shows how
the tile divisions for the map book.
- When you are finished examining the preview,
press Enter to select the eXit option and return to the Create
Map Book dialog box.
- Click Generate to
create the map book.
When you generate the
map book, the tiles are listed in the Task Pane,
and one layout tab is displayed for each tile.
Each letter represents
a row of tiles, with the numbered tiles for that row indented below
One layout tab is created
for each of the map book tiles
- Click one of the new layout tabs to see
the portion of the map that it contains.
The map tile for the
layout tab appears in the main viewport.
- The title block contains
the name of your organization.
- The Legend viewport displays the legend for
- The Map Key viewport displays the map
as a whole.
- The north arrow is the one you added.
- The File Name is
the name of the current map drawing.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and click one
of the adjacent arrows.
The view changes to show
the adjacent tile.
- To save the map book settings for future
use, right-click the map book name on the Map Book tab
of the Task Pane. Click Save
Settings. Specify a name and location for the settings
To use these settings
for a different map book, follow these steps:
- Open the map file to publish to a map
- Switch to Map Book in
the Task Pane.
- Click New Map
Book From Settings.
- Select the settings file you saved.
Where you are now
You previewed and generated
the map book, producing multiple tiles that each contain a portion
of the original map. You used the layout tabs to view individual
tiles, and the adjacent arrows to
move between tiles.
To continue this tutorial,
go to Lesson 4: Create an Inset