The Autodesk SDF file
format is a standalone, file-based spatial database format that
supports multiple features classes and properties in a single file,
and provides spatial indexing, interoperability, and high performance
for large data sets.
Characteristics of the
SDF File Format
The SDF file format has
the following characteristics:
- SDF files can be read on different platforms.
- One schema in
a single SDF file supports multiple feature classes.
- SDF files have their own spatial indexing.
- SDF files can store geometric and non-geometric
data with minimal overhead.
- The SDF file format supports a single
writer at any time, with multiple readers.
An SDF schema can support
- Auto ID generation
- Default values
- Exclusive and inclusive value range constraints
- Value list constraints
- Null value constraints
- Spatial contexts
- The following geometry types:
- Polygons: polygon, multi-polygon, curve
polygon, multi-curve polygon, circular arc segment
- Points: point, multi-point
- Rings: ring, linear ring
- Line strings: line string, line string
segment, multi-line string, curve string, multi-curve string