The DWG file format changes from time to time, as newer technology or improvements are incorporated. In general, newer product
versions can always open all older DWG file format versions. However, when a new DWG file format is introduced, prior versions
will not be able to open it. For example, drawings in 2010 DWG format (which is a new file format) cannot be opened in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009.
|DWG file format type
||Created in which version(s)?
||Can be opened only by which versions?
||2007, 2008, 2009
||2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
||2004, 2005, 2006
||2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
AECC Object Compatibility (Civil 3D)
- In AutoCAD Civil 3D, the AECC objects in each release are not backward compatible. A drawing that is created and saved in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009 (DWG file format 2007) can be opened in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008, but all AEC objects (points, alignments, surface, assemblies, corridors, grading, pipes) are displayed as proxy objects,
and all AutoCAD Civil 3D commands are disabled.
- You cannot edit the proxy object or make changes to the design.
- If you need to edit objects in a previous release of AutoCAD Civil 3D, your only option is to export the Civil objects to a LandXML file, then import the LandXML data into the previous version.
For more information, see Supported LandXML Data for Drawing Import and Export.
Autodesk provides country kits that make AutoCAD Civil 3D more applicable to local standards in many places around the world. Each year these country kits are updated to the new formats
and enhanced by new features. Many country kits are available on the AutoCAD Civil 3D DVD, and others are provided at www.autodesk.com/civil3d-countrykits. You should not have to do anything to migrate a country kit, except if you derive company or project standards from the
country kit. Install the new country kit and read the documentation to learn about changes and additions and to determine
how to apply the latest version. Country kits are installed using the Content Pack mechanism. For more information about Content
Packs, see What are Content Packs? in the installation guide.
Compatibility of Civil 3D Drawings with AutoCAD and Other Software
Choose one of the following options to bring your AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 drawing to AutoCAD or other programs:
- Save (AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 to AutoCAD or other Autodesk products) If you save a drawing in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and open it in AutoCAD, all AutoCAD Civil 3D objects, are displayed as proxy objects. If PROXYGRAPHICS was set to 1 at the time you saved the drawing in AutoCAD Civil 3D and PROXYSHOW is set to 1 at the time you open the drawing in AutoCAD, the proxy objects display as graphic images (you see
your design correctly). If PROXYGRAPHICS and/or PROXYSHOW are not set to 1, you might see only a bounding box, or the proxy
may not be displayed.
- Save with Object Enabler (AutoCAD Civil 3D to AutoCAD or other Autodesk products) If you have installed the AutoCAD Civil 3D object enabler, additional information, such as surface statistics, corridor and pipe network information is available to
you in the AutoCAD property palette.
- Export to AutoCAD - This command converts all AutoCAD Civil 3D objects (points, alignments, labels, corridors) to plain AutoCAD objects (for example, blocks, lines, arcs, text) in order
to best match the AutoCAD Civil 3D display at the time you export to AutoCAD. It is important to note that civil object intelligence is not retained and is
not displayed when you re-open the drawing in AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Export to other software - Export the AutoCAD Civil 3D design to LandXML and use a third party application to import the LandXML.
- AutoCAD Civil 3D Object Enabler - Installing the Object Enabler with another Autodesk product allows you to see the AutoCAD Civil 3D objects regardless of the drawing settings. You can query the properties of theAutoCAD Civil 3D objects and obtain extended information, but you cannot edit the objects.
There are other specific converters such as Bentley MX GENIO Extension, France PISTE Extension, German ISYBAU, OKSTRA, UK
In situations where the previously suggested methods for converting files does not work, use the Export to AutoCAD command
and then save as DXF. The 3rd party software may be able to use the 2D or 3D graphical and text information to construct a