In this exercise, you will create point groups to sort the points as they are imported into a drawing.
For more information, see the AutoCAD Civil 3D Help topic Point Groups.
This exercise continues from Exercise 1: Creating Description Keys.
Create point groups
This exercise uses Points-1.dwg with the modifications you made in the previous exercise.
- In , on the tab, right-click the collection. Click .
- In the dialog box, on the tab, in the field, enter Detention Pond. Optionally, enter a short description in the field.
- On the tab, select POND*. Click .
This option specifies that all points with the POND* raw description are added to the Detention Pond point group.
Notice how the description key setting is recorded on both the and tabs. If you know SQL, you can see how you could add more criteria to the tab to select a more specific set of points for the point group.
- Click .
- Create another point group by repeating Steps 1 through 4, but use the following parameters:
: Storm Manholes
Your drawing should now contain the same description keys and point groups shown in sample drawing Points-1a.dwg.
The _All Points point group is created automatically. A point can belong to other point groups in the drawing, but it is always
a member of the _All Points point group. For more information, see the AutoCAD Civil 3D Help topic The _All Points Point Group.
Change the point group label style
- In , on the tab, expand the collection.
- Right-click the collection. Click .
- In the dialog box, on the tab, change the to Standard.
- Click to close the dialog box.
To continue this tutorial, go to Exercise 3: Importing Points from a Database.