A free light has no
target sub-object. You can aim it by using transforms.
of a Free light with spherical, spotlight, and web distribution
To create a Free light:
- On the Create panel, click (Lights).
- Choose Photometric from the drop-down
list. (This is the default.)
- On the Object Type rollout, click Free
- Click the viewport location where you
want the light to be.
The light is now part of the scene. Initially
it points away from you in the viewport you clicked (down the negative
Z-axis of the viewport).
- Set the creation parameters.
the light and adjust its direction with
the transform tools or by using a Light viewport. You
can also adjust the light's position with the
To adjust the light position:
- Select the light.
- On the main toolbar, turn on (Select And Move) or (Select And Rotate). Drag
the selection to adjust the light.
You can also right-click
the light and choose Move or Rotate from the quad menu Transform quadrant.
You can also adjust
the light's position with the
To change a viewport to a light view:
NoteThis is available
only for lights with Spot distribution.
- Click or right-click the Point-Of-View
(POV) viewport label.
3ds Max opens the
viewport label menu.
- Choose Lights.
3ds Max opens a submenu that shows the name
of each light. By default, Free Point lights are named PhotometricLight01, PhotometricLight02, and
- Choose the name of the light you want.
The viewport now shows the light's point of
view. You can use the
Controls to adjust the light.
TipThe default keyboard
shortcut for Light viewports is $.